Like most of our customers in Norwich and throughout Norfolk your business will have at some point suffered power outages. The lucky ones have not lost data and suffered no damage to their infrastructure however there are some customers who – because their systems were not protected with an uninterruptible power supply (UPS) – have either lost data or had equipment damaged as a result of power sags, spikes or outages.
To ensure you do not experience these kinds of problems a UPS must be installed at any location where equipment needs to be protected. Your servers, phone systems and network equipment are what what you might call “mission critical” even in a small business. Quite apart from how important this equipment is to the business – they all are expensive to replace and so need to be protected from problems in the power grid.
A UPS is essentially a large battery that is installed between the incoming power supply and the equipment you wish to protect and it serves a number of important functions:
- The UPS “cleans up” any spikes or sags in the incoming power supply that can have a detrimental impact on the lifespan of your equipment.
- For short power cuts, the UPS continues to deliver power to your servers and IP phone system for a specified period of time.
- For longer power cuts, the servers attached to the UPS can be gracefully ‘powered down’ so as not to cause faults with the server operating system.
- When power is returned after a power cut, the server and attached equipment will automatically turn back on so that normal business can be resumed.
- Larger UPS can support the whole business for longer periods of time and should also be used when generators are used to deliver power to your site.
If you have experienced power issues recently and do not have a UPS installed please do contact us today to discuss your needs. We can discus the right type and size of UPS for your environment and provide an installation and support service that even includes “always on” monitoring.
Basic Power Protection UPS with Voltage Adjustment and Graceful Shutdown Software